It has been a busy couple of weeks here at the Art Center with lots of special events and a gallery full of wonderful new art. Our Gems and Jeans event was a huge success. If you didn’t make it out you missed a fabulous evening. There were all kinds of delicious hors d’ oeuvres. The silent auction was a lot of fun, a huge thank-you to all who donated to the silent auction. The music was great, thank-you Cathy Lowry for being here on your birthday no less. We still do not know who won the diamond. We had lots of fun for a great cause.
Our new exhibit, went up the next day. This is the High School Art Show, featuring work from students at both Covington High School and Alleghany High School. It is always nice that once a year we get to display the work of talented students in our area. The show also features work for the residency artist Jill Jensen, who is a print maker and quilter. Her portion of the show is part fun and part thought provoking. Tuesday, we held a reception for both Jill Jensen and the students of Covington and Alleghany High Schools.
We have several classes coming up.
- Watercolor Class starting May 12, lasting 6 weeks, on Tuesday’s from 10am to Noon.
- Oil Painting Class starting May 12, lasting 6 weeks, on Tuesday’s from 2pm to 4pm.
- Drawing Class starting May 12, lasting 6 weeks, on Tuesday’s from 6pm to 8pm.
- Mat Cutting Workshop on Saturday, May 16, from 10am to 1pm.
- Picasso Diva’s May 23, from 6pm to 8pm.
- Sampler Saturday, will be June 13, all materials will be provided.
- Drawing: 10am to Noon, $25 – Using charcoal, pencil, ink, and the basic shapes; shading, proportions, and composition tips will be demonstrated.
- Watercolor: 1pm to 3pm, $25 – Color, composition and basic brush and application techniques will be covered.
- Oil: 4pm to 6pm, $25 – How to get started; color recipes, brushwork and techniques will be gone over.
- Picasso Diva’s on June 25, from 6pm to 8pm.
Looking ahead, you can catch us at the Heritage Festival, on June 6, 2015. Also, during the Heritage Festival we will do a kids program on the amphitheater lawn. You can also, can stop by the Art Center and see the Quilt and Needle Working Show and Bed Turning.
With regards to social media you can find us on Google+, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube, Foursquare, Flickr, and Tumblr. All of these social media sites are in addition to our website, the Town of Clifton Forge website, the Chamber website, the VA Tourism website and the Virginia Artisan website. We are here to make a connection with you!! All you have to do is pick the media. If you can’t find us to connect, tell us where we can find you!!!!